Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Waste Not Want Not...


Wow, it's been awhile, Halloween and a birthday party take it out of a brother...

But that's not what I am here to talk to all of you about today. Today I am here to talk to you about waste; or, as I like to call it, the American way of life.

While I am for from any form of earth loving hippie I find myself pissed off beyond belief on a near daily basis by the sheer volume of stupid and useless waste that I see in everyday life. I am not even speaking about crazy fucking 'earth mother' shit like composting or not flushing your toilet enough, I'm talking about basic shit that there is no reason for beyond laziness and ignorance.

I am, shortly, going to fire off a list of several wasteful things I have seen done in the last week that infuriated me. Many, if not all, of them are going to seem trivial when they are looked at on a personal level; however, it is important to remember that the impact of all these things is spread out across millions of people. This means the seemingly inconsequential repercussions of a single persons actions actually add up to a massive impact when take on a global, or even city wide, scale.

So here we go, a partial list of things that piss me the fuck off waste wise:

  • People with handfuls of napkins at fast food places, movie theaters or anywhere else they let the general public grab handfuls of paper product. Are you really such fat, lazy slobyou need 37 napkins to wipe the juicy leavings of your double quarter pounder off your chin? NO! Unless you are taking the fucking things home and using them as ass-wipe and napkins at home you are a wasteful fuck. You just grabs a ton of stuff because it's there; I know this because I see your fat ass throw 90% of the fucking napkins you took away. I hope the trees you kill needlessly rape you in your dreams, nightly, with sharp pointy branches. Maybe a fear of sleep will curb your wasteful ways.
  • People who refuse to either purchase a reusable water bottle or refill regular ones. Yeah, I know the plastic bottle manufacture study said it is bad for you to reuse them but guess what; there are a TON of reusable bottles out there for purchase. I know they can be a little spendy but when you spread that cost out over thousands to bottles of water I bet it's a pretty small cost. We are lucky to live in a country where clean, healthy, drinking water is supplied to us easily and conviently for almost no cost but yet we spend millions of dollars and dispose of millions of bottles daily when we have, for free, the fresh water many people around the world would be willing to kill for... No wonder other countries hate us!
  • Packaging designed to prevent you from using all the product inside. The soap at my shop comes in a container that fits the dispenser in a manner which leaves an inch of soap in the bottom, obvioously an evil plot by the manufacture to sell me more soap. My anger is compounded because I wonder just how many people, unlike me, do not cut the bottle open and use that last little bit; how much extra waste, over a year, over the world, is that when you add up all the products like this and al the people to lazy to use all of it.
Humph.

These are enough for me now, I have a million of them but not the time to list them all...

What are some of yours?

Cheers!

1 comment: